SIT Student Ambassador Program
888.272.7881 (toll-free in US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA
Opportunity for SIT Study Abroad alumni!
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2013–2014 Student Ambassador program. The next application cycle will open in spring 2014.
Are you looking for a meaningful way to share your SIT experience with students on your campus? Do you want to make a difference at your college or university?
Become an SIT Student Ambassador
The SIT Student Ambassador Program is an excellent way to incorporate your experiences abroad into your academic and future career pursuits while spreading the word about SIT Study Abroad.
The purpose of the program is to encourage international study on your campus broadly and to provide you with the ability to build professional development skills and to more effectively communicate your own study abroad experience to potential employers and others.
How does it work?
If you are selected by SIT, you will begin your ambassadorship in the fall of 2013. SIT requests that you commit to the program for one academic year and that during that time, you engage in 6 events or activities. These could include:
- Attending a study abroad fair or info session at your school
- Giving a presentation on SIT for students considering studying abroad
- Assisting with a pre-departure orientation
- Visiting a classroom or faculty group for a study abroad presentation
- Hosting a cultural event on your campus
- Completing a community service project
- Organizing a "meet and greet" or other social event between you and other SIT alums and/or for students considering studying abroad
- Presenting your ISP research
- Raising awareness of a global issue
Other possibilities include: hosting an event for a club or student organization; writing an article for your school’s newspaper or SIT’s newsletter or maintaining a student blog; facilitating an alumni mentor Facebook group; presenting at an honors college event or seminar.
- Engage with your classmates and encourage them to have the transformative experience abroad that you had. The program is a great way to stay involved with SIT!
- Gain valuable professional skills through event planning and on-campus presentations.
- Add work experience in the field of study abroad, as well as a leadership role, to your résumé
- Earn a stipend: Ambassadors receive $200 per academic year. Additional funds will be available for activities, events, and presentations.
- Be a past participant in an SIT study abroad program
- Be in good standing upon completion of your SIT program
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at your home campus
- Demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm for study abroad and your SIT experience
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Be a self-starter and someone who can work well independently
- Possess strong organizational skills
The application for the 2014–2015 Student Ambassador program will open in spring 2014. All recent alumni will be notified of the opportunity to apply.
Deadline: June 1, 2014
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SIT Student Ambassador and SIT Study Abroad staff are responsible for initial training, progress reports, and program oversight. SIT will seek the support of the home campus study abroad office to provide verification and approval of events.