About SIT/World Learning
SIT Study Abroad programs foster academic rigor, intensive cultural immersion, substantial community involvement, and an emphasis on field-based research.
SIT has provided programs for undergraduate students for approximately 50 years and currently offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations.
SIT students step beyond the boundaries of a traditional classroom to analyze critical issues shaping local communities around the globe. Students become deeply engaged in a topic and undertake their own research, case studies, in-depth practica, and/or community projects. Students enjoy unparalleled access to local, national, and international networks and are encouraged to treat every experience as a learning opportunity. In doing so, students often discover a lifelong passion that can lead to successive academic and professional achievements.
SIT Study Abroad is deeply embedded in local communities around the world. SIT programs are designed to respect the strengths and knowledge of local partners.
SIT Study Abroad and World Learning
SIT Study Abroad is a program of World Learning, a private, nonprofit international organization. World Learning empowers people and strengthens institutions thorugh education, exchange, and development programs.
In addition to SIT Study Abroad, World Learning operates the following programs:
- SIT Graduate Institute offers internationally focused master’s degrees, certificates, and professional development programs in the fields of peacebuilding and conflict transformation, international education, sustainable development, and TESOL. Founded over 40 years ago, SIT Graduate Institute’s flexible full-time and low-residency programs are based on an experiential learning model and a commitment to social justice and intercultural communication.
- The Experiment in International Living offers three- to five-week summer programs that immerse high school students in other cultures and languages through engaging experiential activities in 27 countries throughout Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Experimenters explore different cultures through the arts, travel, language training, homestays, community service, peace studies, and ecology.
- World Learning International Development and Exchange Programs empower people worldwide to build and sustain vibrant, healthy communities. They bridge the desire for human development and the ability to achieve this goal with meaningful projects that meet critical needs, foster learning, and provide long-term positive impact. Projects in more than 20 countries focus on civil society and governance; education; HIV/AIDS; international professional, academic, and cultural exchanges; and capacity development and training.
SIT prepares students to be interculturally effective leaders, professionals, and citizens. In so doing, SIT fosters a worldwide network of individuals and organizations committed to responsible global citizenship. SIT fulfills this mission with field-based academic study abroad programs for undergraduates and accredited master’s degrees and certificate programs for graduates and professionals.
- How to Choose a Program
- View SIT Study Abroad Undergraduate Research / ISP Collection
- View the 2013 Overview Brochure (PDF, 1MB)
- View the 2013 Semester Catalog (PDF, 4MB)
- View the 2013 Summer Catalog (PDF, 1MB)
- View Our Photo Galleries on Flickr
- Academic Resources/Library
- Track Your Application Online
- US State Department "Students Abroad"
- SIT Study Abroad Gear