SIT and AmeriCorps
"AmeriCorps' partnership with SIT Graduate Institute provides individuals with the opportunity to encounter and address poverty while also educating themselves about the most effective ways to eliminate it. SIT offers a flexible path toward receiving a valuable degree, and ultimately a new level of understanding of the policies, programs, theories, and complexities of poverty in the United States and beyond."
—Matt Dunne, Former Director, AmeriCorps*VISTA
Through SIT’s partnership with AmeriCorps, students can integrate graduate studies at SIT with AmeriCorps service.
If you have completed AmeriCorps service prior to enrolling in a graduate program at SIT:
- AmeriCorps alumni who are accepted into an SIT master’s degree program after completion of at least one year of AmeriCorps service are eligible for a tuition match of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, up to $5,500 during SIT’s first academic year. In order to be considered, individuals must be admitted to one of the following SIT master’s degree programs:
- Master of Arts in Peacebuilding and Conflict Transformation
- Master of Arts in International Education
- Master of Arts in Sustainable Development (Vermont)
- Master of Arts in Sustainable Development: International Policy and Management (Washington, DC)
- Self-Designed Master of Arts in Intercultural Service, Leadership, and Management
- Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- AmeriCorps alumni who have completed their service (10 to 12 months) and are accepted into one of SIT's master's degree programs are eligible for a competitively awarded $5,000 scholarship. The award is based on the type of work completed during service and the candidate's experience before and after working with AmeriCorps.
- SIT will waive the application fee of $50.
Applicants may be considered for additional SIT merit-based awards based on the strength of their application.
If you would like to pursue AmeriCorps service and graduate school at SIT:
- Current SIT students interested in an AmeriCorps program can complete AmeriCorps service for their SIT practicum. Students interested in this option typically apply to AmeriCorps after beginning their initial coursework phase at SIT.
- AmeriCorps service fulfills SIT's practicum requirement; however, the practicum must be related to the student’s coursework and career goals and be for a minimum of six months.
Learn more about AmeriCorps
In order to qualify for AmeriCorps, you must be a US citizen and 18 years or older.
To Identify Your AmeriCorps Affiliation
Please state that you served (or wish to serve) with AmeriCorps by checking the AmeriCorps box on SIT’s online application. Otherwise, contact SIT’s Admissions Office at 800 336-1616 (toll free in the US) or 802-258-3510, or email email@example.com to get the application fee waived and be considered for the tuition match described above.
800.336.1616 (toll free in US)
802.258.3510 (outside the US)
PO Box 676, 1 Kipling Road
Brattleboro, VT 05302 USA